The Big Listen ended production in May 2018. While this site is no longer updated, all the content remains available for archive purposes.
A few months ago, the good women of 2 Dope Queens hosted a live show in Washington, D.C. Lots of their famous pals joined them, including actress Gillian Jacobs, star of the TV sitcom Community and the Netflix show, Love. Onstage with the Queens, Jacobs admitted to a deep and abiding love for podcasts. Specifically true crime podcasts, starting naturally with Serial.
After that, we knew we needed to get Jacobs on the horn to probe her love of digital audio. Turns out, she’s a bit of an obsessive. She listens in the car when she’s driving around L.A., she listens at home when she’s doing chores and she also listens when she’s in the shower. Not my preferred venue, but hey, to each her own.
Jacobs’ list of podcast faves is long. So long. But we’ll abridge it for you. Gillian Jacobs’ top podcast picks are:
- You Must Remember This
- Beautiful Stories from Anonymous Strangers
- Comedy Bang Bang
- Myths & Legends
- 99 Percent Invisible
- Dear Sugar
- and of course, 2 Dope Queens
About her eclectic tastes, Jacobs says “I listen to all kinds of podcasts. There’s one for every mood.”
Tell Me More Shows To Check Out!
- Seltzer Death Match — If you love carbonated water, then this is the show for you. Rachel Ward and Travis Larchuk, both veteran radio producers, turn their talents to the bubbly beverage in a March Madness-style showdown of seltzer. #lacroix
- Containers — Speaking of water, the topic of global shipping might not shoot you out of bed in the morning. That is, until you hear this audio documentary from journalist Alexis Madrigal and realize that shipping containers are the underpinning of your entire existence: almost every single thing you buy has made its way to you on a cargo ship laden with containers. Both the history and the impact of this industry is hard to ignore.
- The Competition — One of the most prestigious piano competition in the world happens every four years in Fort Worth, Texas. The Van Cliburn is an event that makes or breaks classical piano careers and the competitors train for years to make it. James Kim’s podcast follows some of the pianists trying to make it into this year’s competition.
Do you have a podcast recommendation you’d like to share with us? We want to hear it! Give us a jingle on the Pod Line at 202-885-POD1 and leave a message. Then we’ll put you on the radio and you’ll win all the awards.
Thanks for reading, pals! ‘Til next time…keep listening, America.
Most Recent Shows
This is the final episode of The Big Listen. Boo! Hiss! Our show is going off the air (read more on that here) and we’re shifting our focus to other projects. So this is last you’ll hear from us. But we’ve so enjoyed getting to share all the great shows we’re listening to with you. Thank you for spending some time with us. Keep reading...
Over the course of your life, you’ve probably had at least a dozen email addresses. And I’m going to go out on a limb and say that at least a couple of those have been super embarrassing. Comedian Nicole Drespel can relate. Not only has she had deeply mortifying email addresses, but she’s also sent more than her fair share of ridiculous emails. Keep reading...